Happy February to All!
We are enjoying springtime temperatures in Washington, D.C. on this President’s Day. Crossing our fingers that a late season storm doesn’t destroy all our budding spring flowers.
We would like to thank Fr. David Subu, the Parish Council, and the parishioners of St. Mary’s Orthodox Church in Falls Church, VA for their very generous contribution to AFPVO and Pro Vita in Romania. The parish held a fund-raising luncheon with many delicious Romanian dishes prepared by the youth and women of the parish. We spoke to the diners about AFPVO and the amazing work being done in Romania. Over $1400 was raised and will be used to support the “Economic Trampoline” buildings in Valenii de Munte for the expanded sewing and new metal fabrication enterprises.
Mihail Tanase tells us that the worst of winter is ending in Romania. They look forward to starting demolition and construction of the enterprise buildings in Valenii de Munte as soon as final government approvals are received. Mihail has pre-positioned a lot of building materials and equipment in anticipation of receiving the approvals very soon. The architectural drawings of the new facilities are being posted to the Photo Gallery on the AFPVO website, www.provitacharity.org.
There are now nineteen girls living in the Teen House in Valenii with more expected after the results of the exams for high school are known in late spring. Pro Vita has experienced an influx of homeless mothers and children who have occupied Casa Tyrol, traditionally the housing for volunteers. Mihail and Melanie are working to finish additional space at the Teen House to accommodate volunteers later this year. Once again, demand for Pro Vita’s services has exceeded the supply of available housing.
We continue to encourage all of you to include AFPVO in your charitable giving plans. We are still $12,000 short of the $45,000 goal to fund the build-out of the two enterprise structures in Valenii de Munte. It appears that additional housing also may be needed in Valea Screzii and Valenii de Munte to meet the growing demand.
With the beginning of the Lenten season soon, many of you will be choosing to make some extra sacrifices in preparation for Easter. Your financial support for Pro Vita through AFPVO is both necessary for the beneficiaries in Romania and rewarding for each of us personally. As always, your personal check is preferred, but the Board remains committed to make up the 2-3% service charge if PayPal is a better way for you to donate. Currently about 25% of our subscribers have donated. If the remaining 75% of you could send even a small check, we could move closer to achieving our goal. As an incentive, all contributions from new donors will be matched at 200% by the AFPVO Board up to a total matching amount of $8000. Your $50 contribution becomes $150 with the Board’s $100 match! For those of you in the 25%, your contributions are always appreciated, and you are recognized as the core of our success in supporting Pro Vita. Remember, 100% of your AFPVO contribution is tax-deductible.
Checks may be mailed to: AFPVO
10005 Donal Lane
Vienna. VA 22181
Stay tuned to see pictures of the new construction as soon as it starts.
Donna, Frank, and Fr. Sean
The AFPVO Board